Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is Utah Earthquake Ready?

Following the earthquake devastation that ripped apart the country of Haiti, I've found myself thinking about the preparedness of the earthquake zone in which I live...specifically the Wasatch Range area of Utah.  According to The Earthquake Education Services or EES at the University of Utah, there are potentially dangerous faults throughout the Wasatch Front area, such as in the West Valley City area, under the Great Salt Lake, and just north of the Great Salt Lake.  Knowing this information begs the question,  is my family prepared if a large earthquake were to occur here?  The answer is no.  Do we even own a flashlight? 

And so I heard of one way to begin preparing in case such an event were to occur.  It's called a 72-hour kit.  Apparently, or so it seems, most people I know from Utah have been making these kits for years.  Gotta love those scouts!  So since our beautiful Utah is a snowy winter wonderland today, I decided today is as good a day as any to begin "preparing"

Better safe than sorry later right!

Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment