Monday, March 8, 2010

Fending off the Sniffles

This morning I found myself feeling a bit better, most notably due to the full day of rest I had yesterday while my husband looked after Park most of the day (thank you Marsh!!!).  I wish, on the other hand, that I could say the same for Park.  Although his spirits are up, his nose is flowing like the Colorado River.  Every time he sneezes I reach for a towel because a meazly little tissue won't do. 

Forced by the will of my son's and my health, we left to make a run to the store. Park and I and coupons in hand (which I forgot to give to the cashier, go figure) made our usual Monday trip for necessities.  In addition to our usual meal groceries, we picked up the following to help with the stuffy noses:  
  • cayenne pepper and chilli powder 
  • green tea
  • probiotics
  • 2 boxes of super soft tissue paper
Reason being...I know there isn't a whole lot we can do to get over a cold virus, but there are very simple things that will aid your body in the fight.  The cayenne pepper and chilli powder is going into the Jumbalaya I'm making for dinner tomorrow.  Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, which in addition to many other health benefits it helps clear plugged sinuses and congested lungs.  The green tea is first, a replacement for the coffee I'm addicted to every morning.  It's so much better for you so I'm going to supplement the tea for the coffee for a while.  But green tea also packs a major antioxidant punch.  It may also shorten the duration and severity of the cold virus and the flu.  The third item, our probiotics, is simply a part of our daily routine.  Along with so many benefits, taking a daily probiotic is also linked to boosting immunity.

And so it goes...wish us luck.

As for the rest of the day, it's going to be just that...REST.  (While sipping on some green tea of course;)

Hope you are all feeling great and happy Monday,

Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment