Did you know:
- The majority of household waste consists of unsolicited mail.
- 100 million trees are ground up each year for unsolicited mail.
- It wastes 28 billion gallons of water for paper processing each year.
- More than half of unsolicited mail is discarded unread or unopened; the response rate is less than 2%.
- The result is more than 4 million tons of paper waste each year.
- It is difficult to recycle, as the inks have high concentrations of heavy metals.
- $320 million of local taxes are used to dispose of unsolicited mail each year.
- It costs $550 million yearly to transport junk mail.
- Scarce landfill space disfigures rural areas and pollutes ground water.
- We each get about 40 pounds of junk mail a year, more than a tree's worth per family!
There is something you can do about it. Go to www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs4-junk.htm or http://www.ecofuture.org/jnkmail.html to learn more about what you can do to stop the mail coming to your mailbox. It takes 5 min. of your time and is well worth it!