Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Smoothies to the Rescue

My son has always been a picky eater.  Even though I've attempted introductions to many wonderful foods since Park began eating solids, he remains a very choice food consumer.  He loves fruit, which is great not only because of its health benefits but I know he is getting many nutrients from those foods versus processed items.  He also likes whole grain bread and oatmeal, some cheese and turkey hot dogs...but that's about it.  I've tried time and time again to make a vegetable for him that should be appealing to anyone and he always declines.  He won't even give it a try. 

A friend of mine (thanks Ginger:) suggested I whip up a smoothie for him since he LOVES smoothies with yogurt, vanilla soy milk and lots and lots of fruit...and add veggies to that.  Apparently the vegetables can go unnoticed by a 2-year old.  So I gave it a whirl over the weekend and to our delight (and surprise), he loved it!  We all loved it!
Below is what I put in for ingredients:
  • 1 cup vanilla yogurt
  • half of a banana
  • 4 large frozen strawberries
  • handful of blueberries
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk
  • lots of spinach
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed

He gobbled it down.  I can't wait to try other vegetables!  So for anyone who is having trouble getting your child to eat certain foods, I highly recommend this Mommy method of sneakiness...

~Mommy Bridget

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I will have to give that a shot for me!!! :) Thanks for the good idea!

    ReplyDelete