Sunday, February 20, 2011

Pubic Symphysis Diastema: A Pregnancy Condition

Did or do you suffer from uncomfortable pain in your pelvic area during pregnancy?  There is a condition called Pubic Symphysis Diastema that women can suffer from that makes it mildly uncomfortable to very painful in your gait to move about while pregnant and/or following the birth of your child.

During pregnancy, the hormone relaxin causes the ligaments and joints throughout the pregnant woman's body to loosen in order to accommodate the growing baby and birth.  The loosening that affects the pubic area in the pelvis can be exaggerated in some individuals which causes the pubic bones to separate more than normal, making it uncomfortable to perform many simple activities.  During my last pregnancy, I was plagued with this condition.  In looking back, this was the only "pain" I suffered from during my pregnancy.  I didn't understand what was going on other than that I was told my pubic bone was separating, which sounded almost every time I got out of bed or stood up too quickly.  Little did I know, I could have been seeing a chiropractor during my pregnancy to correct this issue and make those final, uncomfortable days a little more enjoyable.

If you think you may be suffering from this condition or other pubic bone pain, there are a few things you can do to relieve your pain:
  • make regular visits to your chiropractor (I have done this throughout my second pregnancy and have YET to have any discomfort:)
  • Stabilize what you can via a pregnancy/maternity binder like the Prenatal Cradle.
  • Avoid situation that cause pain. For example, sit down to put pants on, sit on the side of the tub and swing both legs together.
  • Avoid standing for long periods of time.
  • Use a rice sock to help provide moist heat.
  • Occasionally, pain medication is appropriate and your practitioner can help you decide when and what.
The good news is that shortly after delivery you should be feeling much better as the production of relaxin stops.
(Source: http://pregnancy.about.com/od/symptomsofpregnancy/a/pubicbonepain.htm)

~Curious Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment