Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Stock Up!

Awhile back, I found a really simple recipe for making use of your leftover chicken/turkey dinners to make home made stock.  (I unfortunately do not remember where I got the recipe from.)  I've always wanted to learn how...not only does making home made stock make great use of leftovers from those huge dinners we make over the holidays but it gives us the opportunity to make it to our own tasting AND save a little money while we are at it! 

On Christmas Eve, I made a small (yet big to my little family) chicken dinner with all the extras including stuffing, green bean casserole and salad.  It was delicious!  Following dinner and removing any leftover meat from the chicken carcass, I put the remaining chicken into a large pot with a few other ingredients, let it simmer for an hour and voila!  It had to be the best chicken stock my palate has ever tasted!


If you are interested, below is this super easy recipe:
  • 1 turkey or chicken carcass, meat and skin removed
  • 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 2 carrots, cut into chunks
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 whole peppercorns
Add all the ingredients into a large pot, cover with water, season generously with salt and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer on med-low for one hour.  Strain broth into a large bowl and discard remains.  Use in any recipes that call for broth:)

I halved the recipe since my chicken was very small and the stock turned out wonderfully.  When it was finished simmering, I let it completely cool, then put it into a container and let it further cool in the refrigerator. Then, I put it into a freezer safe container to be frozen until needed.

Enjoy,

Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment