Friday, December 17, 2010

Air Pollution and Autism

For close to a decade now, I've seen the same reports of autism rates in Utah as one of the highest per capita in the nation.  Before I ever began looking deeper into the subject of autism, I always asked myself the same question over and over again...what is it about Utah that could make autism rates so high?  What is it in our environment that distinguishes our children from other children in the US?  And time and time again, I came with this answer: our air pollution.

It is my strong belief that individuals are genetically predisposed to autism.  Furthermore, I believe that there are environmental factors that can "trigger" autism in those same individuals.  Those triggers COULD be toxins in our air, toxins in our water, and vaccines, (to name a few).   These days, all I ever hear or read about is whether or not vaccines cause autism.  So when a friend of mine with Utah Moms for Clean Air came across this article and sent it my way (thank you Cherise!), I couldn't pass up the chance to share it with all of you.

Here is the link:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-autism-20101217,0,2040535.story

I strongly believe that more attention and research needs to be focused on links between autism and toxin exposure, specifically in utero and during the first 2 years of life. 

~Curious Mommy

My friend Mel sent me this link to another great article from Huffington Post that is a really great read and further supports this possible connection.  This link is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/autism-research-discovery_b_794967.html

Thanks Mel!

No comments:

Post a Comment