Saturday, June 26, 2010

Homemade Beauty Products

Part I: Face Scrub

I came across an article in Self's May 2010 issue about make it yourself beauty products and so I thought I would try the recipes out and report back to you.  I love simple products that can be made from home, are better for you than most otc beauty products, and cost significantly less.

So here it is: 

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp citrus juice (grapefruit, orange, or lemon) (I used half orange and half grapefruit)
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
Directions:
  •  The article said to stir the ingredients until the bubbling dies down, apply the mask, leave it on for 20 minutes, then rinse it off. 
 
According to Jeannette Graf, M.D., assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, citrus fruits are "composed of alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliate and brighten skin and help keep pores clean" while the baking soda gently sloughs off your dead skin cells. 

Baking soda is awesome  Coincidentally, the same day I began writing this post a good friend of mine sent me a link listing 40 other great ways to use baking soda.  You can see that link here.

The combination of the two are a perfect way to naturally remove dead skin and encourage healthy new skin cells to form.  After testing it I agree!  The mask will tingle a bit but that's normal.  What a great way to begin with clearer skin, to rejuvenate your body...and soul!  Stay tuned for Part II: Smoothing Your Skin

Enjoy,

Curious Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment