Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Value of Life

I've been pondering for some time whether or not I should write a post about this topic.  I mean, I've really wanted to use my blog as a source to get the word about this little angel but wasn't sure if it were appropriate or not.  But then this morning, after visiting the new web site in honor of this little girl and after viewing the photos of her I thought to myself that what I have learned from this situation as a mother, as a friend and as a human should be brought into words on my blog for all to be reminded of.

In other words, I strongly feel that we need to remember ALL the time what is most important in this short life we all have.  Not money nor prestige and popularity, but for the respect and love for those close to us every minute of our life.  ESPECIALLY for those we have brought into this world!

About a month ago, I found out that a little girl to someone I know was in the hospital, unexpectedly, and was struggling for her life.  Here is her story (in a quick recap without giving personal details):

Little Mia was a strong, healthy energetic and beautiful budding child with the world at her fingertips.  She comes from a very loving, hands on family and has more friends and people that love her than most of us could ever dream of.  And one day, she fell ill.  Ill like most of us have experienced.  But within hours, it was clear she needed to be seen by a doctor. 

Within just a few days, this young girl went from having a common illness to fighting for her life.  This is when I first found out about her condition through a friend and through a blog in her name.  And the first post I read was from her father.  In my own words, this was the message he had for everyone:

Go and hug your children.  Tell them you love them and tell them why.  Don't take for granted one second you have with them.  Then he went on to talk about his daughter's condition and to ask for our thoughts and prayers.

Which I did.  Every single thing he asked, I did.  And more wholeheartedly than I have ever done.  I looked at my sons and cried.  I cried for the love that I have for them and for their precious lives.  I cried for the love he and his wife and family have for his little girl who was dying.  I cried for the pain that they were experiencing.  And I cried for the guilt I felt for having healthy children right in front of me.  Although I am no where near close with his family or his little girl, her father has always shown sincere kindness to my own family.  He has always cared for our health and has been very supportive of my own son whose health we were so concerned with in the past.  So it was easy for me to care as much as I did.  I would for anyone whose child was going through what she was.  And most of all, I know that he would do the same for me or for anyone for that matter.  And so I wouldn't let her out of my thoughts.

This family has so many caring and loving family, friends and acquaintances in their life as seen by the thousands and thousands of visitors on their web site in honor of their daughter.  In other words, their family has many people thinking about them, praying for their little girl and sending their energy and love in their direction.  I prayed, more than I've ever prayed for anything in my life.  And to be honest with you, I was a little rusty.  It's not something I do on a regular basis.  But I did.  I couldn't get her and her family out of my mind.  And I wasn't the only one.

Within just a few days, this little girl needed a new heart, received a new heart and has been recovering ever since.  She has a long road ahead of her.  But she is a fighter.  And she has so many thoughts and prayers and energy going to her 24 hours a day that she continues to get better.

I wanted to share this story with you all because I wanted it to do for you what it has and forever will do for me.  Love your children.  Don't waste a second with them not showing how much love you have for them.  And pray for them, pray for all children.  Don't ever underestimate the power in doing so.  And lastly, please pray for this little girl and her family.  
 
Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment