Tuesday, September 8, 2009

No white after Labor Day?

I was informed yesterday that it is "custom" to stow away any white summer clothes after Labor day. If this is the case, I'm screwed! The only warm weather clothes I own are white linens and it's still in the 80's and 90's here in Utah. Oh, and no...I don't feel like purchasing any other summer clothes since my summer is almost over. Since it's going to be 85 degrees today, and I have to dress cute for I have an appointment at my modeling agency...I will dare to continue wearing white.

According to ask.yahoo.com,

The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided. But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to fit in.


Will they look at me and think I know nothing of fashion? Well...honestly, I don't!

Mommy Bridget

1 comment:

  1. I even saw them wear white on the news! Maybe its old hat?.

    ReplyDelete