Monday, July 11, 2011

Delicious Basil Pesto


Now that my garden is beginning to produce, I have been trying my hardest to make use of everything it grows for us.  Although our tomatoes and zucchini still have yet to grow, we already have strawberries and plenty of herbs.  My basil has been growing well and so I realized I wanted to make the most out of it before the tomatoes get here and we are able to make our summer favorite: caprese salad.

I've never made my own basil pesto before but thought it would be a great to make and freeze to use in the fall.  I looked around and found that most recipes were really all the same so, in my own words, this is the recipe I followed:
  • 2 cups fresh basil leaves
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
Mix the above two ingredients well.  Then add a little extra-virgin olive oil and blend more.  Then, add:
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix well.  Then, add:
  • kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Mix well, then add 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese and again, mix well.

If you plan to freeze this like I did, I first chilled it in the refrigerator for a few hours.  Then I transferred it to an air tight container and topped it with a little more olive oil before freezing it.

Voila!  Enjoy this mixed in a bed of flat pasta noodles.  My house smelled like fresh basil for hours after whipping this up. I can't wait to eat it and enjoy the herb of my labor!

~Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment