Saturday, September 4, 2010

Earth: 2100


Since my son awoke this morning at 5:30 am and I wasn't quite ready to run around the house like most moms do, I flipped on the tv while Park played and found a show called Earth: 2100 on the History channel that caught my attention.  I'm so glad I did...what a GREAT show!

I remember seeing clips of the show last winter right around Earth Day.  The show's story begins in 2010 with a girl being born and how her life, her environment and human civilzation around her changes by the year 2100.  If anyone knows much but Jared Diamond's book, Collapse, the story is a perfect example of the direction our earth and species is headed if we don't make some major changes.  I highly recommend watching the show if you can! 

Following the program, I couldn't help but think to myself how if everyone on earth made one simple change in their daily lives/habits that was better for the environment, what an impact that would make.  I will be the very first to admit that there are many more things I need to change in my family's lifestyle to make less of an impact on the earth...but I am proud and confident in many of the choices I've made already.  Below are just a few things the program mentioned we can do as individuals that together, will make a large impact:
  • drive less
  • utilize mass transportation
  • grow your own food
  • shop locally
  • fluorescent bulbs
  • turn off lights
  • don't put into our water what you would not want to drink (pesticides, harmful toxins)
  • use less, waste less
  • support wind/solar power
  • support green development
  • walk!
  • take proper care of your vehicle
  • question your "need" for a high powered SUV
  • my favorite:  BE AWARE and CARE
Although there are days that I wonder to myself whether or not my blog about sustainable living/mothering and green news is making an impact, I am so glad that I am trying.  I couldn't imagine living a life not worrying about the impact my habits are making on our children's future and the future of the earth.  Maybe my choices won't matter in the end...but I'd rather die trying to make a difference than doing nothing at all!

If you are reading this than hooray to you all for caring too!

Have a wonderful restful weekend,

Mommy Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment